2007年9月24日 星期一

Teaching Methods(week2)

If I am the teacher who are going to choose which method she will use in Englisg teaching, I woud like to use mixed way of grammar translation, audiolingual , natural approach, CLT and so on, depending on the situation. Taiwaness students are accustomed to traditional way of teaching, and so far as the learning situation was concerned, it's hard to change the way of learning and teaching. Sometimes for The Basic Competence Test For Junior High School Students , I have no choice but to use grammar translation. It's really not an easy task to transfer the condition. What I can do may be to follow the former's steps. Although to continue a criticized way variablely as we have known is bad, it is difficult to vary the established way of learning. I could not forcast the result of using a in way of English teaching around all the world except Asia so I may be lacking the courage to enforce it sometimes. Teaching does need practicing and experiences, through these you can do better effectively. I am still doing trial and error in teaching eight to twelve children so far. Somewhile I thought I got the right way to teach and manage; however, next time it did'nt work. Teaching is not as easy as many people think and being a good teacher is therefore challenging.

4 則留言:

M.Y. 提到...

Yes, there exist "washback effects," espcially for high school English education. Can you think of "alternative" English tests?

Are you teaching a group of kids? Can you share your expriences of using audiolingual, natural approach, and CLT?

Amanda 提到...

Excuse me, what is "washback effects"? So far I couldn't think of alternative English tests.

Yes, I 'm teaching a small group of kids who are 8-12years old. The method what I use mixes a part of audiolingual, natural approach and direct way; however, most of the time I use Chinese. Recently, I take over a new class in which kids aren't as good as I thought. Some of them even have difficulty in making out 26 letters. What annoy and upset me most is disorder in the class. They have low English ability so that it seems impossible for me to teach in English. The biggest problem I thought is some of kids have no intrinsic motivation. They don't want to remember any vocabularies, sentences and words but those kids like to play games. Playing English games is fun and good for reviewing what they have learned in class; however, it's hard to proceed the game smoothly once some kids didn't pay attention to the content in class. They're not even afraid of my anger and punishment. I think maybe I would be sick of 8-12 years old kids.

M.Y. 提到...

Playing games is a good idea. Can you give me some examples?

You can google the term "Washback effects."

Amanda 提到...

In order to make them remenber 26 letters and phonics, I have ever used the game "Fishing". First, I divided the class into two groups by drawing and then I cover those English letter cards on the table.
Rules:
1.A group can pick up two cards once and then trun and see them by turns.
2.If the two cards are the same and they can pronounce it and its phonic sound correctly, they can get those two cards. If they can't, the opposite could have the chance to answer for getting cards.
3. In the end, group which get more cards is winner.

Several times later, I would add new rules to the activity such as each one has to answer by truns lest the same person should answer all the time in a group.