2007年9月29日 星期六

Little kids are a big tragedy for me

This week, from the text book, I figure out why those imps are always able to make me mad. The most serious problem is they lack intrinsic motivation so that they don’t care about grades, study and participation in the class. Except these imps, there are still some kids who are meek, studying hard and participating in the class actively but they would be disturbed easily by those noisy children. I don’t like to take over a new class actually because it would take a long time for me to manage the order of the class. I have no perfect way to keep order so that I couldn’t proceed with the curriculum successfully sometimes. I have ever inquired one of the imps why she always runs around and play around in the class and she told me it’s so boring to sit in the chair and study English, even to writing the homework. It's not a simple task to change her because she is get used to paying little attention to the class before I took over the class. Moreover, their English abilities are totally diverse and some of them couldn’t even tell 26 letters correctly. It confuses me and I have no idea about teaching materials sometimes.
I am much gladder to tutor single student at one time because it seems easier for me than teaching a group of kids. At least I don’t have to “manage” them. My experiences to tutor junior high students are great presently because we can become mates and talk about something interesting happening at school. They are so different from elementary students that I can talk something meaningful to them rather than being busy keeping order. I like the job of tutoring students on the premise that they have intrinsic motivation so far.

1 則留言:

M.Y. 提到...

You talked about class management. we will cover this issue in the second halh of the class.

Such reading problems, such as "some of them couldn’t even tell 26 letters correctly" reminds me of my tutoring experinces in an ESL program in an American public elementary school. Yes, teachers need to deal with students of diverse abilities. "The Red Balloon story" might give you some ideas, but I would like to share other stories with you. Come to my office and talk to me.