2007年11月7日 星期三

Resent tutoring experiences

Speaking

Recently, I've started to add some speaking activities to the tutoring period. At first, my tutoring students would be afraid of speaking and get nervous; however after several times of interactions, they are gradually getting used to it and did much better. In past days, I used to
correct students most kinds of errors, but now I try not to correct local erros in order to build their confidence and get more fluency. I choosed the speaking subjects which depends on texts in their textbooks which I have just taught for fear that they couldn't think of any words or sentences to respond. What's more, they can use some words or sentences from what they have learned and practice them. Take one of my experiences for example, once, after I finished the lesson about travel, I asked my student "Have you ever been to any interesting tourist sites in Taiwan or abroad?" and then he shared his touring experiences with me. In the begining, he just responded my questions with short answers, but several times later I would asked him to give me a more complete sentence. During the conversation, I did almost no correction but just told him some words he pronounced wrongly. However, I think he becomes more confodent in speaking English. And when he got tired from the lesson, it was also a good way to get fun and relaxation.


Children in the private school

As I have said, some of them are noisy and even couldn't concentrate on the class over 10 minutes a time. Several weeks ago I have started to have one student lead others to read phonics orally by turns every class and they become more obedient during the process. I think one reason is they are not familiar with the paltporm and feel a kinda shy, they would like to behave well at that time. At the same time, I request another student to record who do well or not on the blackboard when they read phonics orally. In the end of the class, we will choose one who behave best and he can decide one who behave worst to do accomplish one thing before class dismissal. This is somewhat effective in class management, although sometimes it does just work in fist half of the class.

2 則留言:

M.Y. 提到...

Speaking--
What kinds of of short answers and complete sentences did your students make? Can you give me some examples?

Children in the private school--

Do the kids concentrate when they watch English TV programs?

Amanda 提到...

1.I:What do you like to do most in your free time?
S:paly games.
I:What kind of games?
S:Computer games
I:Could you gave me a complete setence such as "I like to...most in my free time.
S:I like to paly computer games most in my free time.

2.I let them see a movie once in the private school and they some kind of concentrated on it. But it was just a small party for their relaxing at the end of the semester, so I haven't ever taught them by video materials. It would to troblesome because I need to borrow the laptop from someone else.